Mark David ChapmanAssassin / Convict
Born: 10 May 1955
Birthplace: Fort Worth, Texas
Best known as: The man who killed John Lennon
Mark David Chapman shot and killed musician John Lennon
December 8, 1980, outside the Dakota Apartments in New York City. Mark David Chapman was a former security guard from Hawaii who came to New York specifically to attack the famous ex-Beatle. He waited outside the Dakota, then shot Lennon as he was returning with his wife, Yoko Ono
, from a late-night recording session. Though Chapman's lawyer initially entered a plea of insanity, Chapman later changed the plea to guilty. He was sentenced to 20 years to life in prison, a sentence which he is serving in New York's Attica prison. Mark David Chapman became eligible for parole in 2000, but has been denied parole in hearings every two years since then, most recently in August of 2010.
Mark David Chapman was carrying a copy of the J.D. Salinger book The Catcher In the Rye when he killed Lennon… Chapman married the former Gloria Hiroko in 1979 in Hawaii. They remain married, and Gloria Chapman lives in Hawaii.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Mark David Chapman from Fact Monster:
- Mark David Chapman - Biography of Mark David Chapman, The man who killed John Lennon
- Annie Leibovitz - Biography of Annie Leibovitz, Portrait photographer for Rolling Stone and Vanity Fair
- John Lennon - Biography of John Lennon, One of The Beatles
- Jared Leto - Biography of Jared Leto, Star of Prefontaine and singer for 30 Seconds to Mars
- Selected Biographies: C - Selected biographies of well-known people and fictional characters