Born: 18 February 1964
Birthplace: New Rochelle,
Best known as: Star of Rumble Fish and Wild Things
Matt Dillon was a teen screen idol in the 1980s who became a versatile character actor, earning an Oscar nomination for his performance in Paul Haggis
(2004). Dillon got his start in 1979's Over the Edge
, the first of many bad boy roles that brought out the usual comparisons to James Dean
and young Marlon Brando
. His square-jawed good looks and curled-lip attitude served him well in the film adaptations of S.E. Hinton
's novels, The Outsiders
and Rumble Fish
(1983, both directed by Francis Ford Coppola
), but he broke from the teen-rebel mold in 1984's The Flamingo Kid
and proved his ability to do romantic comedy. Out of teen idol status, he starred in Target
(1985, with Gene Hackman
) and The Big Town
(1987, with Diane Lane
), and earned critical praise for playing a lowlife in Gus Van Sant
's Drugstore Cowboy
(1989). Since then Dillon has been a stand-out in supporting roles, in dramas including To Die For
(1995, starring Nicole Kidman
) and Wild Things
(1998), and in the comedies In & Out
(1997) and There's Something About Mary
(1998, starring Dillon's then-girlfriend, Cameron Diaz
Dillon made his debut as a writer-director-actor with City of Ghosts (2002).
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Matt Dillon from Fact Monster:
- Matt Dillon - Matt Dillon actor Born: 2/18/1964 Birthplace: New Rochelle, New York Talented actor who was able to ...
- Matt Dillon - Biography of Matt Dillon, Star of Rumble Fish and Wild Things
- James Arness - James Arness (James Aurness) actor Born: 5/26/1923 Birthplace: Minneapolis, Minnesota Arness became ...
- Marisa Tomei - Biography of Marisa Tomei, The Oscar-winning actress from My Cousin Vinny
- Frankie Muniz - Frankie Muniz actor Born: 12/5/1985 Birthplace: Woodridge, N.J. The young star of TV's Malcolm ...