Born: 24 July 1949
Birthplace: Culver City, California
Best known as: Cosmo Kramer on TV's Seinfeld
Michael Richards spent nine seasons playing wacky neighbor Cosmo Kramer on the sitcom Seinfeld
. Richards worked the clubs of L.A. as a stand-up comedian before landing a job on ABC's late night comedy show Fridays
(1980-82). He hit the jackpot seven years later when he began playing Kramer, the lanky, eccentric, wild-haired Manhattan neighbor of Jerry Seinfeld
. The show aired from 1989-1998; Richards' extreme physical comedy was a potent counterweight to the general talkiness of show, and the role made him a star. His film credits include UHF
(1993, with Weird Al Yankovic
(1993, with Dan Aykroyd
), and Unstrung Heroes
(1995, directed by Diane Keaton
Richards made news in November of 2006 when he spewed racial epithets at hecklers during a comedy club appearance at the Laugh Factory in West Hollywood; he apologized on the David Letterman show a few days later… Richards is six feet, two and one-half inches tall, according to a 1993 article in Entertainment Weekly… Richards’s co-stars on Seinfeld were Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Elaine Benes and Jason Alexander as George Costanza… Some sources list 1948 as Richards’s birth year. Who2 bases its 1949 date on Kathleen Tracy’s book Jerry Seinfeld: The Whole Domain (1998, Birch Lane Press, p. 67).
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Michael Richards from Fact Monster:
- Michael Richards - Michael Richards actor Born: 7/24/1949 Birthplace: Culver City, California Emmy Award-winning ...
- Michael Richards - Biography of Michael Richards, Cosmo Kramer on TV's Seinfeld
- UHF - Starring 'Weird Al' Yankovic, Victoria Jackson (I), Kevin McCarthy, Michael Richards, David Bowe
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus - Biography of Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Elaine on the sitcom Seinfeld
- Jason Alexander - Biography of Jason Alexander, George Costanza on TV's Seinfeld