Muhammad Ali JinnahPolitical Figure
Born: 25 December 1876
Died: 11 September 1948
Birthplace: Karachi, India(now Pakistan)
Best known as: Founder of Pakistan
Muhammad Ali Jinnah was a lawyer and politician who fought for the cause of India's independence from Britain, then moved on to found a Muslim state in Pakistan in 1947. Jinnah entered politics in India in 1905 and by 1917 his charisma and diplomacy had made him a national leader and the most visible supporter of Hindu-Muslim unity. His strong belief in gradual and peaceful change was in contrast to the civil disobedience strategies of Mohandas Gandhi
, and in the '20s Jinnah broke from the Indian National Congress to focus on an independent Muslim state. In 1940 he demanded a separate nation in Pakistan and by 1947 he somehow managed to get it from the British and India. Through civil wars, a rotten economy and millions of displaced refugees, Quaid-i-Azam Jinnah ("great leader") pretty much built a country from scratch.
Jinnah was played by Christopher Lee in the 1998 feature film Jinnah.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Muhammad Ali Jinnah from Fact Monster:
- Muhammad Ali Jinnah - Jinnah, Muhammad Ali Jinnah, Muhammad Ali , 1876–1948, founder of Pakistan, b. Karachi. After ...
- Muhammad Ali Jinnah - Biography of Muhammad Ali Jinnah, Founder of Pakistan
- Liaquat Ali Khan - Liaquat Ali Khan Liaquat Ali Khan , 1895–1951, first prime minister of Pakistan. He was ...
- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi: Indian Independence - Indian Independence In 1942, after rejection of his offer to cooperate with Great Britain in World ...
- Muhammad Iqbal - Iqbal, Muhammad Iqbal, Muhammad , 1877–1938, Indian Muslim poet, philosopher, and political ...