Born: 2 December 1978
Birthplace: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Best known as: Singer of "I'm Like A Bird"
Nelly Furtado's debut album Whoa Nelly!
was released in 2000 and spawned the Grammy-winning hit single "I'm Like A Bird." The album went platinum in sales and in 2001 Furtado won four Juno awards for excellence from the Canadian music industry. Furtado was born in Canada to parents of Portuguese descent and has recorded several songs in Portuguese over the years. She began singing professionally in Toronto in the late 1990s, and that led to a record deal. Her debut album earned four Grammy nominations and was an international bestseller. After releasing numerous remixes, singles, soundtrack cuts and collaborations, she released her second full-length CD, Folklore
, in 2003, and her third, Loose
in 2006. The latter produced the hit singles "Promiscuous" and "Say It Right" and was the foundation for her 2007 tour and a later live recording, Loose the Concert
. Nelly Furtado joined Justin Timberlake
for the hit single "Give It To Me" in 2007, recorded singles in Spanish in 2009 and released a greatest hits compilation in 2010.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Nelly Furtado from Fact Monster:
- Nelly Furtado - Biography of Nelly Furtado, Singer of "I'm Like A Bird"
- Most Played Songs on the Radio, 2006 - Most Played Songs on the Radio, 2006 Rank, Title, Artist 1. “Be Without You,” Mary J. ...
- Most Played Songs on the Radio, 2007 - Most Played Songs on the Radio, 2007 Rank, Title, Artist 1. “Buy U A Drank (Shawty ...
- Top 10 Selling Digital Songs, 2006 - Top 10 Selling Digital Songs, 2006 Rank Title, Artist Units sold 1. Bad Day, Daniel Powter ...
- Emm Gryner - Biography of Emm Gryner, Singer of the folk single "Summerlong"