Nick CleggPolitical Figure
Born: 7 January 1967
Birthplace: Chalfont St Giles, England
Best known as: Deputy Prime Minister of the U.K., 2010-present
Nick Clegg is the leader of the Liberal Democrats in the United Kingdom, and on 11 May 2010 he became the U.K.'s Deputy Prime Minister in a coalition formed with Prime Minister David Cameron
of the Conservative Party. Clegg studied anthropology at Cabridge in the late 1980s, and political philosophy in Minnesota and Belgium in the early '90s. For five years he worked for the European Commission in Brussels, and in 1999 he was elected as a Member of the European Parliament for the East Midlands. Clegg resigned that post in 2004, and in 2005 he was elected as a U.K. Member of Parliament for Sheffield Hallam. By the end of 2007, he'd achieved the position of party leader for the Liberal Democrats, aiming to boost the popularity of his party as an alternative to the Conservatives on one side and the Labour Party on the other. The close election of May 2010 resulted in a hung parliament, but Clegg and his party emerged as a viable alternative to Labour's Gordon Brown
, putting Clegg in the position of demanding a voice in the new coalition government under Cameron. A dyed-in-the-wool liberal, Clegg has aggravated some in his own party by working with the Conservatives, and U.K. loyalists consider his multinationalism to be suspect, at best. But he has a reputation for being an honest, if sometimes naive, reformer.
Clegg is reportedly fluent in English, French, Dutch, German and Spanish… He married Miriam Gonzalez Durantez in 2000, and they have three sons, Antonio, Alberto and Miguel… His wife is from Spain… After studying at the University of Minnesota, Clegg had an internship in New York with journalist Christopher Hitchens.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Nick Clegg from Fact Monster:
- Nick Clegg - Biography of Nick Clegg, Deputy Prime Minister of the U.K., 2010-present
- Liberal Democrats, British political party - Liberal Democrats Liberal Democrats, British political party created in 1988 by the merger of the ...
- May 2010 Current Events: World News - Current events from around the world for the month of May 2010, including Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, China, North Korea, President Karzai.
- Selected Biographies: C - Selected biographies of well-known people and fictional characters
- United Kingdom - Information on United Kingdom — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.