Nim ChimpskySign-Language Chimp
Born: 21 November 1973
Died: 23 March 2000 (heart attack )
Birthplace: Norman, Oklahoma
Best known as: Language-learning chimp with a funny name
The chimpanzee Nim Chimpsky was the subject of a landmark experiment in teaching sign language to apes. Named in a humorous salute to language theorist Noam Chomsky
, Nim was raised in a human-like setting and taught sign language as if he were a human child. Nim learned to use basic signs but, it was generally agreed, did not develop complex language skills. (Other famous language-learning apes include Koko
the gorilla and Washoe
the chimp.) Nim was later sold to a medical lab to be the subject of experiments, but through the intervention of activist Cleveland Amory he was instead sent to retirement at a Texas wildlife sanctuary.
Nim Chimpsky is also the name of a popular Welsh band.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Nim Chimpsky from Fact Monster:
- Nim Chimpsky - Biography of Nim Chimpsky, Language-learning chimp with a funny name
- Noam Chomsky - Biography of Noam Chomsky, Creator of the theory of generative grammar
- Koko - Biography of Koko, The gorilla who "talks" with humans
- Washoe - Biography of Washoe, Chimp who learned sign language
- Selected Biographies: C - Selected biographies of well-known people and fictional characters