Omar KhayyamAstronomer / Poet
Born: 18 May 1048
Died: 4 December 1131
Birthplace: Nishapur, Persia(now Iran)
Best known as: The author of The Rubaiyat
Historically speaking, Omar Khayyam has led a double life. In his own time he was a respected mathematician and astronomer who helped reform the ancient Muslim calendar. In the modern era he is more fondly remembered as the author of the brief, lyrical poems known collectively as The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam.
Omar is said to have adopted the name Khayyam (“the tentmaker”) in honor of his father’s trade.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Omar Khayyam from Fact Monster:
- Omar Khayyam - Khayyam, Omar: Khayyam, Omar: see Omar Khayyam.
- Omar Khayyam - Omar Khayyam Omar Khayyam , fl. 11th cent., Persian poet and mathematician, b. Nishapur. He was ...
- The Keeper: The Legend of Omar Khayyam - Starring Moritz Bleibtreu, Adam Echahly, Marie Espinosa, Bruno Lastra, Vanessa Redgrave
- Omar Khayyam - Biography of Omar Khayyam, The author of The Rubaiyat
- Abu Said ibn Abi al-Khair - Abu Said ibn Abi al-Khair Abu Said ibn Abi al-Khair , 967–1049, Persian poet, a Sufi and a ...