Paul SimonSinger / Songwriter
Born: 13 October 1941
Birthplace: Newark, New Jersey
Best known as: Half of the singing duo Simon and Garfunkel
Friends from childhood, Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel made up one of the most successful musical acts of the 1960s. On the strength of Simon's songwriting and Garfunkel's harmonies -- their music was dubbed "folk rock" -- they became international superstars, beginning with "The Sound of Silence," a number one hit in 1965. Until they broke up in 1970, Simon & Garfunkel cranked out hit songs such as "The Boxer," "Mrs. Robinson" (from the Dustin Hoffman
film The Graduate
) and "Bridge Over Troubled Water," with critical acclaim to match their popular success. Simon pursued a solo career that has included several hit songs, including "Kodachrome," "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover" and "Still Crazy After All These Years." He changed his sound in the 1980s, and his African-influenced album Graceland
(1986) was a popular and critical success that kept him on the charts. His albums since then include The Rhythm of the Saints
(1990), Songs From the Capeman
(1986, with producer Brian Eno
) and So Beautiful Or So What
(2011). Paul Simon has won more than a dozen Grammy awards and is considered one of the best popular songwriters of his generation.
Simon married singer Edie Brickell in 1992. Previously he was married to actress Carrie Fisher (1983-84) and Peggy Harper (1970-75)… Simon wrote and starred in the 1980 film One Trick Pony. He had a small role in Woody Allen‘s Oscar-winning 1977 film Annie Hall.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Paul Simon from Fact Monster:
- Paul Simon - Paul Simon singer, guitarist, songwriter Born: 10/13/1941 Birthplace: Newark, New Jersey Grammy ...
- Paul Simon - Simon, Paul Simon, Paul, 1941–, American singer, songwriter, and guitarist, b. Newark, N.J. A ...
- Paul Simon - Biography of Paul Simon, Half of the singing duo Simon and Garfunkel
- Art Garfunkel - Art Garfunkel (Arthur Garfunkel) singer; actor Born: 11/5/1941 Birthplace: Forest Hills, Queens, ...
- Ladysmith Black Mambazo - Ladysmith Black Mambazo Ladysmith Black Mambazo , choral group formed in 1965 in Ladysmith, South ...