Paul Thomas AndersonFilmmaker
Born: 26 June 1970
Birthplace: Studio City, California
Best known as: The writer/director of Magnolia and There Will Be Blood
Filmmaker Paul Thomas Anderson is known for complex, critic-pleasing dramas, including 1999's Magnolia
and 2008's There Will Be Blood
. A child of the cinema, Anderson went about making movies right out of school, and by the time he was 25 he was directing his first feature, Hard Eight
(1996, also known as Sydney
). His provocative 1997 movie, Boogie Nights
, made a splash, and Anderson's Oscar-nominated script got just as much attention as Mark Wahlberg
's performance as a porn star. Anderson's next film, Magnolia
(1999), earned him even more praise for his mature dramatic sensibilities, and brought him a second Oscar nomination for screenwriting. He then made Punch-Drunk Love
(2002), a dramatic feature with comedian Adam Sandler
, and oversaw parts of the Robert Altman film A Prairie Home Companion
(2006), before embarking on the American epic There Will Be Blood
(starring Daniel Day-Lewis
), the 2008 movie that earned eight Oscar nominations, including two for Anderson, for best director and best adapted screenplay.
His dad was Ernie Anderson (1923-1997), an ABC television voice talent (“…the LOVE Boat…”) and, for a time in the 1960s, a Cleveland, Ohio TV host known as “Ghoulardi.”
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Paul Thomas Anderson from Fact Monster:
- Paul Thomas Anderson - Paul Thomas Anderson writer, director Born: 1970 Writer, director, and producer of Oscar-nominated ...
- Paul Thomas Anderson - Biography of Paul Thomas Anderson, The writer/director of Magnolia and There Will Be Blood
- 2007 Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards - 2007 Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards Best Picture There Will Be Blood Best Actor Daniel ...
- Philip Seymour Hoffman - Philip Seymour Hoffman actor Born: 1968 Birthplace: Fairport, N.Y. Versatile character actor known ...
- John C. Reilly - John C. Reilly actor Born: 5/24/1965 Birthplace: Chicago Reilly has avoided the scorching gaze of ...