Queen of ShebaBiblical Figure / Royalty
Born: c. 10th century B.C.
Birthplace: Sheba(now Yemen or Ethiopia)
Best known as: The wealthy queen who tested Solomon
Queen of Sheba was an ancient name for Abyssinia, a kingdom on the Red Sea in the vicinity of modern Ethiopia and Yemen. The Queen of Sheba is best known for a story in the Bible's book of Kings: at the head of a caravan of riches, she visits Israel's King Solomon
to test his legendary wisdom. After Solomon successfully answers her riddles, the queen showers him with gifts. According to Ethiopian tradition the queen returned to Sheba and bore a son by Solomon, Menelik I, who was the beginning of the Ethiopian royal dynasty.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Queen of Sheba from Fact Monster:
- Queen of Sheba - Biography of Queen of Sheba, The wealthy queen who tested Solomon
- Where in the World ... - Where in the World ... …is Count Dracula's castle? In the Transylvania region of ...
- Karl Goldmark - Goldmark, Karl Goldmark, Karl, 1830–1915, Hungarian composer. His concert overture Sakuntala ...
- Sheba, in the Bible - Sheba Sheba . 1. In the Bible, rebel against David. 2. Queen of Sheba, who according the the Bible ...
- King Solomon - Biography of King Solomon, Builder of the Temple of Solomon