Robert DuvallActor / Filmmaker
Born: 5 January 1931
Birthplace: San Diego, California
Best known as: Oscar-winning star of Tender Mercies
A leading man and character actor since the 1960s, Robert Duvall has specialized in taciturn cowboys, fierce leaders and driven characters of all types. He made his screen debut in 1962 as the creepy Boo Radley in To Kill a Mockingbird
and played a bad hombre opposite John Wayne
in True Grit
(1969). In the 1970s he worked often with Francis Ford Coppola
, appearing in The Godfather
(1972, with Marlon Brando
), The Conversation
(1974) and as the fanatical Colonel Kilgore in Apocalypse Now
(1979). He earned Oscar nominations for roles in The Godfather
(1972), Apocalypse Now
(1979), The Great Santini
(1979) and The Apostle
(1997) and won the Best Actor Oscar for 1983's Tender Mercies
. On television he was Emmy-nominated for the hit 1989 miniseries Lonesome Dove
in a memorable pairing with Tommy Lee Jones. Duvall has also directed films, including The Apostle
and the 1975 rodeo documentary We're Not the Jet Set
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Robert Duvall from Fact Monster:
- Robert Duvall - Robert Duvall actor, writer, director Born: 1/5/1931 Birthplace: San Diego, California Academy ...
- Robert Duvall - Biography of Robert Duvall, Oscar-winning star of Tender Mercies
- Harper Lee - Harper Lee (Nelle Harper Lee) author Born: 4/28/1926 Birthplace: Monroeville, Alabama Author of the ...
- Farrah Fawcett - Farrah Fawcett (Mary Farrah Fawcett) actress Born: 2/2/1947 Birthplace: Corpus Christi, Texas ...
- Miranda Richardson - Miranda Richardson actress Born: 3/3/1958 Birthplace: Southport, England After beginning her acting ...