Robert L. RipleyAdventurer / Cartoonist
Born: 25 December 1890
Died: 27 May 1949 (heart attack )
Birthplace: Santa Rosa, California
Best known as: Founder of Ripley's Believe It Or Not!
<p>Name at birth: LeRoy Ripley</p>
Robert L. Ripley's Believe It Or Not! cartoon panel was a staple of American newspapers in the first half of the 20th century. The cartoon featured true-life oddities from around the globe, always with the tag line "Believe It... Or Not!" Ripley's first such cartoon appeared in the New York Globe in 1918. As his readership grew Ripley began travelling abroad to find tidbits for his cartoon; he became famous as a globe-trotting adventurer, eventually claiming visits to 198 different countries. The cartoon's success spawned radio and TV shows, books and museums which continued into the 21st century.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Robert L Ripley from Fact Monster:
- Robert L. Ripley - Biography of Robert L. Ripley, Founder of Ripley's Believe It Or Not!
- Santa Rosa, city, United States - Santa Rosa Santa Rosa , city (1990 pop. 113,313), seat of Sonoma co., W Calif.; inc. 1868. It is an ...
- Biographies of Animated Characters and their Creators - Spiderman, SpongeBob, Matt Groening, Walt Disney . . .
- December 25 Birthdays: Anwar al-Sadat - December 25 birthdays: Anwar al-Sadat, Sissy Spacek, Helena Rubinstein, Humphrey Bogart, Maurice Utrillo, Clara Barton, Barbara Mandrell, Dido, Robert L. Ripley, Conrad Hilton, Jimmy Buffett, Cab Calloway
- Selected Biographies: R - Selected biographies of well-known people and fictional characters