Best known as: Sturdy first mate in the novel Moby-Dick
Starbuck is a character in the 1851 novel Moby-Dick
by author Herman Melville
. Strong and steady, Starbuck serves as first mate on the whaling ship Pequod
under the command of the mad Captain Ahab. Starbuck tries to stop Ahab's obsessive hunt for Moby-Dick, but loyal at the last, he dies at sea with Ahab and his crew after a final battle with the great while whale. The Starbucks coffee chain took its name from the character.
Unrelated characters named Starbuck also appear in the play The Rainmaker (which debuted on Broadway in 1954) and in the sci-fi TV show Battlestar Galactica (1978-79, with Lt. Starbuck played by Dirk Benedict)… Starbuck was played by actor Leo Genn in the 1956 film which starred Gregory Peck as Ahab.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Starbuck from Fact Monster:
- Starbuck - Biography of Starbuck, Sturdy first mate in the novel Moby-Dick
- What does it mean? metier - metier Jim worked at Starbuck's, but his metier was poetry— a.) reading verse was his ...
- Moby-Dick - Biography of Moby-Dick, The great white whale of American literature
- Alfred Peet - Biography of Alfred Peet, Coffee guru known as the “grandfather of specialty coffee” who was responsible for the U.S. gourmet-coffee revolution. In 1966 he opened his…
- Line Islands - Line Islands Line Islands or Equatorial Islands,coral group, 43 sq mi (111 sq km), central and S ...