Thelonious MonkComposer / Jazz Musician / Pianist
Born: 10 October 1917
Died: 17 February 1982
Birthplace: Rocky Mount, North Carolina
Best known as: Influential and idiosyncratic bop jazz pianist
<p>Name at birth: Thellous Junior Monk</p>
Thelonious Sphere Monk is considered one of the most important (and eccentric) jazz composers of the century. One of the early practitioners of bebop during the 1940s and '50s, his complex compositions featured irregular rhythms, dissonant sounds and a quirky sense of humor. He was the composer of such jazz standards as "'Round Midnight" and "Straight No Chaser."
His son is noted jazz drummer T. S. Monk.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Thelonious Monk from Fact Monster:
- Thelonious Monk - Thelonious Monk jazz pianist, composer, arranger Born: 10/10/1917 Birthplace: Rocky Mount, North ...
- Thelonious Monk - Biography of Thelonious Monk, Influential and idiosyncratic bop jazz pianist
- Charlie Bird Parker - Charlie “Bird” Parker jazz saxophonist Born: 8/29/1920 Birthplace: Kansas City, Kansas ...
- Betty Carter - Betty Carter (Lillie Mae Jones) jazz and blues singer Born: 5/16/1930 Birthplace: Flint, Michigan ...
- Coleman Hawkins - Biography of Coleman Hawkins, Tenor sax player who had the hit "Body and Soul"