Tim RobbinsActor / Filmmaker
Born: 16 October 1958
Best known as: Oscar-winning star of Mystic River and Bull Durham
Tim Robbins won an Oscar as best supporting actor for his role in the 2003 Clint Eastwood
drama Mystic River
. Robbins grew up in Greenwich Village in New York, where he got involved with the theater at the age of 12. After high school he moved to Los Angeles and studied drama and acting, co-founding a theater group called The Actors' Gang. He began working in television and movies in the early '80s and had roles in The Sure Thing
(1985, starring John Cusack
) and Top Gun
(1986, starring Tom Cruise
) before making it big as the goofy pitcher Nuke LaLoosh in the jovial baseball flick Bull Durham
(1988). Dramatic roles in Jacob's Ladder
(1990) and The Player
(1992) showed his skill as an actor, and his mock-documentary Bob Roberts
(1992) showed he was no slouch as a writer and director. He has made two other films as writer/director, Dead Man Walking
(1995, starring Sean Penn
) and Cradle Will Rock
(1999), and several films in lead and supporting roles, including The Shawshank Redemption
(1994, with Morgan Freeman
), Arlington Road
(1999), High Fidelity
(2000) and the Steven Spielberg
version of War of the Worlds
(2005, starring Tom Cruise
Robbins announced in 2009 that he had split with his longtime companion, actress Susan Sarandon. The two never married but were together for 21 years, having met on the set of Bull Durham in 1988. They had two sons: Jack (b. 1989) and Miles (b. 1992)… Robbins is famously outspoken on political issues and was criticized by fellow liberal celebrities in 2000 for voting for Ralph Nader instead of Al Gore.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Tim Robbins from Fact Monster:
- Tim Robbins - Tim Robbins actor, director, screenwriter, producer Born: 10/16/1958 Birthplace: West Covina, ...
- Tim Robbins - Biography of Tim Robbins, Oscar-winning star of Mystic River and Bull Durham
- Susan Sarandon - Susan Sarandon (Susan Abigail Tomalin) actress Born: 10/4/1946 Birthplace: New York City Academy ...
- Susan Sarandon - Biography of Susan Sarandon, The co-star of Thelma and Louise
- The Hudsucker Proxy - Starring Tim Robbins, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Paul Newman, Charles Durning, John Mahoney