Born: 18 February 1931
Birthplace: Lorain, Ohio
Best known as: Pulitzer Prize-winning author of Beloved
Name at birth: Chloe Anthony Wofford
Toni Morrison is a literary giant of the 1980s and 1990s, and all the more famous for being both a woman and an African-American. Her book Beloved won the 1988 Pulitzer Prize; in 1993 she was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature. Her other major works include Song of Solomon (1977), Jazz (1992) and Paradise (1998). Morrison was named the Goheen Professor of the Humanities at Princeton University in 1987.
Copyright © 1998-2013 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Toni Morrison from Fact Monster:
- Toni Morrison - Toni Morrison (Chloe Anthony Wofford) novelist Born: 2/18/1931 Birthplace: Lorain, Ohio Pulitzer ...
- Toni Morrison - Morrison, Toni Morrison, Toni, 1931–, American writer, b. Lorain, Ohio, as Chloe Ardelia ...
- African American Literature: History, Crossword, Quizzes, Harlem Renaissance, Civil Rights - Find information on black history and African-American literature from the earliest published African-American writers to contemporary black writers in the United States.
- February 18 Birthdays: Toni Morrison - February 18 birthdays: Toni Morrison, Matt Dillon, Molly Ringwald, George Kennedy, Helen Gurley Brown, Sholem Aleichem, Louis Comfort Tiffany, John Travolta, Charles Michael Schwab
- Toni Morrison - Biography of Toni Morrison, Pulitzer Prize-winning author of Beloved
Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson
Education, Inc. All rights reserved.