Tupac ShakurActor / Rapper
Born: 16 June 1971
Died: 13 September 1996 (shot to death )
Best known as: Late rapper of 2Pacalypse Now
Tupac Shakur was a member of the hip-hop group Digital Underground, whose 1990 album featured the hits "Humpty Dance" and "Doowutchyalike." In 1992 he began his solo career, and his debut album 2Pacalypse Now propelled him to stardom and made him one of the more prominent practitioners of gangsta rap. His other albums and appearances in movies such as Juice (1992) and Poetic Justice (1993) helped him to become a mainstream pop artist. Shakur made headlines over a string of run-ins with the law, and in 1994 he was robbed and shot five times. He recovered and in the next year released the successful albums Me Against The World and All Eyez on Me. Embroiled in a complicated feud with fellow gangsta rappers, Shakur was murdered in Las Vegas in 1996.
Nikki Giovanni‘s poem “All Eyez on Me” is about Shakur… As with the fans of Elvis Presley, some fans of Tupac maintain that the rapper never really died. Although the rumor is widespread, no evidence exists that it is true.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Tupac Shakur from Fact Monster:
- Tupac Shakur - Tupac Shakur gangsta rapper Born: 6/16/1971 Birthplace: Brooklyn, New York Gangsta rapper Shakur, ...
- Tupac Shakur - Biography of Tupac Shakur, Late rapper of 2Pacalypse Now
- Maya Angelou - Biography of Maya Angelou, Author of I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
- Nikki Giovanni - Biography of Nikki Giovanni, Poet who wrote "Ego-Tripping"
- Janet Jackson - Biography of Janet Jackson, The pop singer who bared her breast at Super Bowl 2004