Birthplace: Paris, France
Best known as: Witty playwright and author of Candide
<p>Name at birth: Francois Marie Arouet</p>
Voltaire was the pen name of Francois Marie Arouet, who first made a name for himself among the refined patrons of the French salons. He applied his wit and knowledge to writing poetry and political treatises, often incurring the wrath of the French government and the church. Perhaps his most famous work is his novel Candide (1759), with its common sense conclusion that we must "cultivate our garden."Voltaire influenced political theorists, philosophers, educators and historians, and is one of the most celebrated citizens in the history of France.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Voltaire from Fact Monster:
- François Marie Arouet de Voltaire - Voltaire, François Marie Arouet de Voltaire, François Marie Arouet de , ...
- November 21 Birthdays: Voltaire - November 21 birthdays: Voltaire, Hetty Green, Beryl Bainbridge, Troy Aikman, Björk, Goldie Hawn, Stan Musial, Tina Brown, Rene Magritte, Coleman Hawkins
- Ferney-Voltaire - Ferney-Voltaire Ferney-Voltaire , town, Ain dept., E France, on the French-Swiss frontier near ...
- François Marie Arouet de Voltaire: Voltaire's Style - Voltaire's Style Voltaire attained the most subtly comical effects through an imperceptible ...
- François Marie Arouet de Voltaire: Voltaire's Philosophy - Voltaire's Philosophy In his philosophy, based on skepticism and rationalism, he was indebted ...