- The ratio of work done or energy
developed by a machine or engine, to the energy supplied to
- Describes any effect concerned with
the electrical properties of solutions and the ions in
- A metal plate or wire for conducting
electrons into or out of solutions.
- The use of electrical energy to carry
out a chemical reaction.
- A substance that, when dissolved in
water produces a solution that conducts electricity.
- A negatively charged subatomic
particle, of extremely low mass found in the space outside the
nucleus of an atom.
- Referring to the property of electronegativity.The
most electronegative element isfluorine, having an
electronegativity of 4.0 on the Pauling scale.Non-metals are more
electronegative than metals.
- The ability of an atom in a molecule
to attract electrons toward itself.
- A method of separating large molecules
(such as DNA fragments or proteins) from a mixture of similar
molecules. An electric current is passed through a medium
containing the mixture, and each kind of molecule travels through
the medium at a different rate, depending on its electrical charge
and size. Separation is based on these differences.
- Having to do with the positive and
negative charges on species such as electrons or ions.The important
principle is that like charges repel and opposite charges
- A basic building block of matter that
cannot be broken down into a simpler substance by ordinary
- A substance that softens or
- A substance that promotes the
dispersion of small globules of one liquid in another liquid when
the two liquids will not mix.
- One of a pair of non-superimposable,
- The ability to do work and transfer
- A measure of the disorder of a
- Relating to the activity of enzymes,
which are biological catalysts that play crucial roles in most
biological processes, including metabolism and gene
- A biological catalyst that will
increase the rate of a chemical reaction, but is not consumed in
the course of a reaction.These catalysts are at least hundreds of
times more efficient than any man-made catalyst used in industrial
- One of two steroisomers with more than
one chiral center that differ in stereochemical configuration at
- A system in which the rates of the
forward and the reverse reaction are equal.
- The process of ridding the body of
metabolic waste products.
- exergonic process
- A process that liberates energy.
- exothermic process
- A thermodynamic process in which heat
flows from a system to the surroundings.
- extensive property
- A property that depends on the amount
of matter present.
Glossary created by David Shaw (Madison Area Technical College) for The Chemistry Place.
Information Please® Chemistry Place, ©2005 Pearson Education, Inc. All Rights Reserved.