- family (of elements)
- Elements found in the same column of
the periodic table, also known as a group of elements.These
elements will have similar properties.
- A solid ester of a long-chain
carboxylic acid with glycerol.
- Amphetamine-like component of fen-phen
that suppresses appetite by increasing seratonin levels in the
- To separate an insoluble solid from a
liquid by pour it through a solid (usually paper) to trap the solid
particles and separate them from the liquid.
- The process in which heavy nuclei
split to form lighter nuclei.
- Relating to the application of
scientific knowledge to legal problems.
- A shorthand way of showing the
composition of a substance with the use of symbols and numerical
- The change of phase from a liquid into
- The number of complete waves passing a
point in space in a given amount of time.
- A material that can be burned to
provide a source of energy.
- A gaseous substance used to disinfect
an object or to destroy pests.
- A chemical that kills fungi or
prevents them from growing.
- The joining of two small nuclei to
form a larger nucleus.
Glossary created by David Shaw (Madison Area Technical College) for The Chemistry Place.
Information Please® Chemistry Place, ©2005 Pearson Education, Inc. All Rights Reserved.