South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
Status: Overseas territory
Commissioner: Donald A. Lamont (1999)
Total area: 1,506 sq mi (3,903 sq km)
Population: no indigenous inhabitants
Major sources and definitions
The islands are located in the South Atlantic Ocean, east of the tip of South America, approximately 1,000 km east of the Falkland Islands, from which they are administered. In addition to South Georgia Island and the nine South Sandwich Islands, the island group includes Shag Rocks, Black Rock, Clerke Rocks, and Bird Island. A small military garrison on South Georgia withdrew in March 2001 and was replaced by a permanent group of scientists from the British Antarctic Survey.
Fact Monster/Information Please® Database, © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
More on South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands from Fact Monster:
- South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands - Map of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands & articles on flags, geography, history, statistics, disasters current events, and international relations.
- South Georgia - South Georgia South Georgia, island, c.1,450 sq mi (3,760 sq km), S Atlantic Ocean, c.1,200 mi ...
- Territories, Colonies, and Dependencies - Territories, Colonies, and Dependencies Source: The World Factbook, 2005 The following is a list of ...
- Falkland Islands - Falkland Islands Falkland Islands , Span. Islas Malvinas, officially Colony of the Falkland ...
- British Empire: From Empire to Commonwealth - From Empire to Commonwealth World War I brought the British Empire to the peak of its expansion, ...