means first-rate—the very best. In Lloyd's Register of
British and Foreign Shipping, the character of the ship's hull is
designated by letters, and that of the anchors, cables, and stores by
figures. A1 means hull first-rate, and also anchors, cables, and
stores; A2, hull first-rate, but furniture second-rate. Vessels of an
inferior character are classified under the letters Æ, E, and
“She is a prime girl, she is; she is A1.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on A1 from Fact Monster:
- polynomial - polynomial polynomial, mathematical expression which is a finite sum, each term being a constant ...
- Castor, in astronomy - Castor Castor , bright star in the constellation Gemini; Bayer designation α Geminorum; 1992 ...
- number: The Algebraic and Transcendental Numbers - The Algebraic and Transcendental Numbers A real or complex number z is called algebraic if it is ...
- Sirius - Sirius Sirius , or Dog Star,brightest star in the sky. It is located in the constellation Canis ...
- infinity - infinity infinity, in mathematics, that which is not finite. A sequence of numbers, a1, a2, a3, ...