A maritime town of Thrace, said in fable to have been founded
by Abdera, sister of Diomede. It was so overrun with rats that it was
abandoned, and the Abderitans migrated to Macedonia.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Abdera from Fact Monster:
- Abdera - Abdera Abdera or Avdira, town, NE Greece, in Thrace, near the mouth of the Mesta River. It is a ...
- Avdira - Avdira Avdira, Greece: see Abdera.
- Protagoras - Protagoras Protagoras , c.490–c.421 B.C., Greek philosopher of Abdera, one of the more ...
- Democritus - Democritus Democritus , c.460–c.370 B.C., Greek philosopher of Abdera; pupil of Leucippus. ...
- Encyclopedia: Greek Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Greek Political Geography.