(abominor, I pray that the omen may be averted; used on
mentioning anything unlucky).
As ill-omened things are disliked, so, by a simple
figure of speech, what we dislike we consider ill-omened.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Abominate from Fact Monster:
- abominable snowman - abominable snowman abominable snowman or yeti, humanlike creature so named because it is associated ...
- The Monster Guide - Fact Monster's Menacing Monster Guide by David Johnson The Monster Guide Abominable Snowman ...
- yeti - yeti: yeti: see abominable snowman.
- What does it mean? - abominable --Listen to the pronunciation: WAV format or AU format If you said the food in a ...
- kitsch - kitsch kitsch [Ger.,=trash], term most frequently applied since the early 20th cent. to works ...