A Captain Absolute, a bold, despotic man, determined to have his
own way. The character is in Sheridan's play called The
Sir Anthony Absolute
A warm-hearted, testy, overbearing country squire, in the same
play. William Dowton (1764–1851) was nick-named “Sir Anthony
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Absolute from Fact Monster:
- absolute - absolute absolute, in philosophy, the opposite of relative. The term has acquired numerous widely ...
- absolute magnitude - absolute magnitude: absolute magnitude: see magnitude.
- absolute monarchy - absolute monarchy: absolute monarchy: see monarchy.
- absolute music - absolute music absolute music, term used for music dependent on its structure alone for ...
- absolute value - absolute value absolute value, magnitude of a number or other mathematical expression disregarding ...