means strictly, quite deaf. (Latin, ab,
intensive, and surdus, deaf.)
Reduction ad absurdum.
Proving a proposition to be right by showing that every supposable
deviation from it would involve an absurdity.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Absurd from Fact Monster:
- theater of the absurd - theater of the absurd: theater of the absurd: see drama, Western.
- Scott Adams - Scott Adams cartoonist Born: 6/08/1957 Birthplace: Catskill, New York American cartoonist who ...
- Edward Albee - Edward Albee playwright Born: 3/12/1928 Birthplace: Washington D.C. Tony Award and Pulitzer ...
- Václav Havel - Havel, Václav Havel, Václav , 1936–, Czech dramatist and essayist, president of ...
- farce - farce farce, light, comic theatrical piece in which the characters and events are greatly ...