The followers of Plato were so called, because they attended
his lectures in the Academy, a garden planted by Academos.
“See there the olive grove of Academus, Plato's retreat.”
—Milton: Paradise Lost, Book iv.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Academics from Fact Monster:
- academic degree - degree, academic degree, academic, title bestowed upon a student on the fulfillment of certain ...
- academic freedom - academic freedom academic freedom, right of scholars to pursue research, to teach, and to publish ...
- Women Educators and Scholars - Women who made a difference
- Forms of Address - Forms of Address Source: Webster's II New Riverside University Dictionary. © 1984 by ...
- People: Rank and File - People: Rank and File From the pecking order of chickens to the size of children, groups have a way ...