i.e., Nova Scotia, so called by the French from the
river Shubenacadie. The name was changed in 1621. In 1755 the
old French inhabitants were driven into exile by order of George II.
“Thus dwelt together in love those simple Acadian farmers.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Acadia from Fact Monster:
- Acadia - Acadia Acadia , Fr. Acadie, region and former French colony, E Canada, encompassing modern Nova ...
- Canada - Information on Canada — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- 1700–1799 (A.D.) World History - 1700–1799 (A.D.) World History Benjamin Franklin (1706–1790) Frederick the Great ...
- Ten Most Visited National Parks, 2006 - Ten Most Visited National Parks, 2006 Rank Name and location Number of visitors 1. Great Smoky ...
- - Can't read file louisiana/acadia-parish/default.html