After consecration, say the Catholics, the
substance of the bread and wine is changed
into that of the body and blood of Christ, but their
accidents (flavour, appearance, and so on)
remain the same as before.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Accidents from Fact Monster:
- Space Accidents - Space Accidents Space travel is still pretty new, but it hasn't escaped the realm of tragedy. ...
- Accident Archive - Find facts about aircraft crashes, nuclear and chemical disasters, shipwrecks, explosions of all sorts, and more.
- Railroad Accidents - Railroad Accidents While trains are convenient for travel and for transporting goods, they have ...
- Nuclear and Chemical Accidents - Nuclear and Chemical Accidents Though nuclear power is a good source of energy and is generally not ...
- Sharks - Myths and statistics about the oceans' most fearsome creature