A subordinate officer in the Catholic Church, whose
duty is to light the lamps, prepare the sacred elements, attend the
officiating priests, etc. (Greek, a follower.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Acolyte from Fact Monster:
- John Frost NUGENT - NUGENT, John Frost (1868—1931) Senate Years of Service: 1918-1921 Party: Democrat NUGENT, ...
- Lena Horne - Lena Horne jazz and pop singer, dancer, and actress Born: 6/30/1917 Birthplace: Brooklyn, N.Y. She ...
- Parker Posey - Parker Posey (Parker Christian Posey) actress Born: 11/8/1968 Birthplace: Baltimore, Maryland ...
- Ann Reinking - Biography of Ann Reinking, Fosse-influenced choreographer and star of Chicago
- Ricardo Lagos - No Ordinary Socialist Chile's recent election of President Ricardo Lagos by Beth Rowen Ricardo ...