(in Jerusalem Delivered
of Poggio, an ecclesiastical warrior, who with William, Archbishop of
Orange, besought Pope Urban on his knees that he might be sent on the
crusade. He took 400 armed men from Poggio, but they sneaked off during
a drought, and left the crusade (Book xiii.). Ademar was not alive at
the time, he had been slain at the attack on Antioch by Clorinda (Book
xi.); but in the final attack on Jerusalem, his spirit came with three
squadrons of angels to aid the besiegers (Book xviii.).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ademar from Fact Monster:
- Ademar - Ademar Ademar or Adhémar, d. 1098, French prelate, bishop of Le Puy-en-Velay. At the Council ...
- Adhémar - Adhémar: Adhémar: see Ademar.
- Black Orpheus (Orfeu Negro) - Starring Breno Mello, Alexandro Constantino, Lourdes de Oliveira, Ademar Da Silva, Marpessa Dawn
- Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec - Toulouse-Lautrec, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Henri de , 1864–1901, French painter and ...
- Crusades: First Crusade - First Crusade Origins In the 7th cent., Jerusalem was taken by the caliph Umar. Pilgrimages (see ...