Samson Agonistes (the title of Milton's drama)
means Samson wrestling with adversity—Samson combating with trouble.
(Greek, agonizomai, to combat, to struggle.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Agonistes from Fact Monster:
- closet drama - closet drama closet drama, a play that is meant to be read rather than performed. Precursors of the ...
- Samson - Samson Samson, in the Bible, judge of Israel. His long hair was a symbol of his vows to God, and ...
- Eclipse Lit - Eclipse Lit by Ricco Villanueva Siasoco Eclipses have played an important part in literature from ...
- John Milton: Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained - Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained For many years Milton had planned to write an epic poem, and he ...
- John Milton - Biography of John Milton, The author of the epic poem Paradise Lost