properly means contention in the athletic games; and to
agonise is the act of contending. (Greek,
agon, a game of contest, as well as a
“place of assembly”).
Agony, meaning “great pain,” is the wrestle with pain or struggle
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Agony from Fact Monster:
- Gethsemane - Gethsemane Gethsemane , olive grove or garden, E of Jerusalem, near the foot of the Mount of ...
- Carol Botwin - Carol Botwin writer, social critic A respected author and researcher, she wrote a number of books ...
- Cambodia: Bibliography - Bibliography See M. F. Herz, A Short History of Cambodia (1958); M. Leifer, Cambodia, The Search ...
- Johann Friedrich Overbeck - Overbeck, Johann Friedrich Overbeck, Johann Friedrich , 1789–1869, German religious painter. ...
- Passion cycle - Passion cycle Passion cycle, in art, the depiction of the last events in the life of Jesus. The ...