A title common to several Persian kings. The three mentioned in
the Bible are supposed to be Cyaxares (Daniel xi, 1); Xerxes (Esther); and Cambyses
An alabaster vase found at Halicarnassus gives four renderings of the
name Xerxes, viz., Persian, Khshayarsha; and the Greek,
Xerxes; the Sanskrit root Kshi means “to rule,” Kshathra
(Zend Ksathra), a king.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ahasuerus from Fact Monster:
- What is Purim? - Celebration and history of Purim|In 2011, Purim begins at sundown on March 20. Find information about Purim, The Book of Ester, The King's Party, The Rise of Haman, and more.
- Ahasuerus - Ahasuerus Ahasuerus , Hebrew form of the name Xerxes, as used in the Bible. The Ahasuerus in the ...
- Memucan - Memucan Memucan , counselor of King Ahasuerus.
- Carshena - Carshena Carshena , in the Bible, counselor of Ahasuerus.
- Biztha - Biztha Biztha , in the Bible, chamberlain of Ahasuerus.