St. Alban, like St. Denis is represented as carrying his
head between his hands. His attributes are a sword and a crown.
St. Aphrodisius, St. Aventine, St. Desiderius. St. Chrysolius, St.
Hilarian, St. Leo, St. Lucanus. St. Lucian, St. Proba, St. Solangia,
and several other martyrs, are represented as carrying their heads in
their hands. An artist's bungling way of identifying a headless trunk.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Alban from Fact Monster:
- Saint Alban - Alban, Saint Alban, Saint , 3d or 4th cent., traditionally the first British martyr. He lived and ...
- Albany, ancient and literary name of Scotland - Albany Albany, ancient and literary name of Scotland, N of the Firth of Forth and Firth of Clyde. ...
- Saint Albans, city, England - Saint Albans Saint Albans , city (1991 pop. 76,709) and district, Hertfordshire, E central England. ...
- Monte Albán - Monte Albán Monte Albán , ancient city, c.7 mi (11.3 km) from Oaxaca, SW Mexico, ...
- Saint Albans, city, United States - Saint Albans Saint Albans , city (1990 pop. 11,194), Kanawha co., W W.Va., at the junction of the ...