(Order of) A military and religious order instituted in
1214 by Alfonso IX., King of Castile, to commemorate the taking of
Alcantara from the Moors. The sovereign of Spain is ex-officio,
head of the Order. A resuscitation of the order of St. Julian of the
Pear-tree, instituted by Fernando Gomez in 1176, better known by
the French title St. Julien du Poirier. The badge of the order
was a pear-tree.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Alcantara from Fact Monster:
- Alcántara - Alcántara Alcántara , town (1990 pop. 2,213), Cáceres prov., W Spain, in ...
- Pedro II - Pedro II Pedro II (Dom Pedro II de Alcântara), 1825–91, emperor of Brazil ...
- Pedro I - Pedro I Pedro I (Dom Pedro de Alcântara), 1798–1834, first emperor of Brazil ...
- Francisco de Aldana - Aldana, Francisco de Aldana, Francisco de , 1537–78, Spanish general, diplomat, and poet, b. ...
- Maranhão - Maranhão Maranhão , state (1996 pop. 5,218,442), 126,897 sq mi (328,663 sq km), NE ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring