Anything from the East was so called by the old chroniclers and
romancers, because Alexandria was the depôt from which Eastern stores
“Reclined on Alexandrian carpets”
—Rose: Orlando Furioso, x. 37.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Alexandrian from Fact Monster:
- Neoplatonism: The Syrian, Athenian, and Alexandrian Schools - The Syrian, Athenian, and Alexandrian Schools The followers of Plotinus took divergent paths. ...
- Apollos - Apollos Apollos , in the New Testament, Alexandrian Jew who became a Christian missionary.
- Neoplatonism - Neoplatonism Neoplatonism , ancient mystical philosophy based on the doctrines of Plato. Sections ...
- Ctesibius - Ctesibius Ctesibius , fl. 2d cent. B.C., Alexandrian Greek inventor. He reputedly was the first to ...
- Lycophron - Lycophron Lycophron , fl. early 3d cent. B.C., b. Chalcis, Alexandrian Greek poet, one of the ...