All Hallows' Eve
The Scotch tradition is, that those born on All Hallows' Eve
have the gift of double sight, and commanding powers over spirits. Mary
Avenel, on this supposition, is made to see the White Lady, invisible
to less gifted visions.
“Being born on All-hallows' Eve, she (Mary Avenel) was supposed to
be invested with power over the invisible world.” (See Sir
Walter Scott: The Monastery, chap. xiv.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on All Hallows' Eve from Fact Monster:
- Halloween History - The tangled origins of the October 31 holiday
- Halloween Traditions - The inside scoop on jack-o'-lanterns and other Halloween traditions
- All Saints' Day - All Saints' Day All Saints' Day, feast of the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, and day ...
- Halloween - Halloween Halloween , Oct. 31, the eve of All Saints' Day, observed with traditional games and ...
- Teen Read Week - Teens vote for favorite young adult book.|Pick up a humorous book or a graphic novel and read for the fun of it