(An), in Christian art. St. Stephen (the Pope), and
Thomas Becket are represented as immolated before an altar. St. Canute
is represented as lying before an altar. St. Charles Borromeo is
represented as kneeling before an altar. St. Gregory (the Pope) is
represented as offering sacrifice before an altar. And the
attribute of Victor is an altar overthrown, in allusion to his throwing
down a Roman altar in the presence of the Emperor Maximian.
Led to the altar,
married. Said of a lady. The altar is the communion-table railed
off from the body of the church, where marriages are solemnised. The
bride is led up the aside to the rail.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Altar from Fact Monster:
- altar - altar altar, table or platform for the performance of religious sacrifice. In its simplest form the ...
- Ed - Ed Ed, in the Bible, name of an altar raised on the left bank of the Jordan.
- Jehovah-shalom - Jehovah-shalom Jehovah-shalom , in the Bible, name Gideon gave to his altar in Ophrah after an ...
- Jehovah-nissi - Jehovah-nissi Jehovah-nissi , in the Bible, name Moses gave to the altar commemorating the victory ...
- El-elohe-Israel - El-elohe-Israel El-elohe-Israel , in the Bible, name of an altar erected by Jacob in Shechem.