(Divine). The divine Althea of Richard Lovelace was Lucy
Sacheverell, called by the poet, “Lucretia.”
When love with unconfined wings
Hovers within my gates,
And my divine Althea brings
To whisper at my grates.
The “grates” referred to were the prison grates. Lovelace was thrown
into prison by the Long Parliament for his petition from Kent in favour
of the king.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Althea from Fact Monster:
- Tia Carrere - Tia Carrere (Althea Janairo) actress Born: 1/2/1967 Birthplace: Honolulu, Hawaii Actress known for ...
- althaea - althaea althaea or althea:see mallow.
- Serena Williams - Serena Williams Born: Sept. 26, 1981 Tennis beat Martina Hingis for 1999 U.S. Open championship to ...
- Timeline: Women in Sports - From Mt. Olympus to Cooperstown, N.Y.
- This Day in History: July 6 - July 6 1535 Sir Thomas More was beheaded after refusing to join Henry VIII's Church of England. ...