a practical joke played on greenhorns aboard ship. A tub full
of water is placed between two stools, and the whole being covered with
a green cloth, a sailor sits on each stool, to keep the cloth tight.
The two sailors represent Neptune and Amphitrite, and the greenhorn, as
ambassador, is introduced to their majesties. He is given the seat of
honour between them; but no sooner does he take his seat than the two
sailors rise, and the greenhorn falls into the tub, amidst the laughter
of the whole crew.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ambassador from Fact Monster:
- ambassador - ambassador: ambassador: see diplomatic service.
- diplomatic service - diplomatic service diplomatic service, organized body of agents maintained by governments to ...
- Library of Congress Names Ambassador for Children's Literature - Popular writer Jon Scieszka named the first ambassador
- Danilo Türk - Türk, Danilo Türk, Danilo, 1952–, Slovenian lawyer and diplomat, president of ...
- Mario Echandi Jiménez - Echandi Jiménez, Mario Echandi Jiménez, Mario , 1915–, president of Costa Rica ...