(St.) represented in Christian art in the costume of a
bishop. His attributes are (1) a bee-hive, in allusion to the
legend that a swarm of bees settled on his mouth when lying in his
cradle; (2) a Scourge, by which he expelled the Arians from
The penance he inflicted on the Emperor Theodosius has been
represented by Rubens, a copy of which, by Vandyck, is in the National
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ambrose from Fact Monster:
- Stephen Ambrose - Stephen Ambrose military historian and writer Birthplace: Whitewater, Wisconsin Born: 1/10/1936 ...
- Sir John Ambrose Fleming - Fleming, Sir John Ambrose Fleming, Sir John Ambrose, 1849–1945, English electrical engineer. ...
- Elmer Ambrose Sperry - Sperry, Elmer Ambrose Sperry, Elmer Ambrose, 1860–1930, American inventor, b. Cortland, N.Y. ...
- Elmer Ambrose Sperry - Elmer Ambrose Sperry Born: 1860 Birthplace: Cortland, N.Y. Gyroscopic compass—The gyroscope ...
- Saint Ambrose - Ambrose, Saint Ambrose, Saint , 340?–397, bishop of Milan, Doctor of the Church, b. Trier, of ...