the hero of Lewis's romance, called The Monk. Abbot of
the Capuchins at Madrid. The temptations of Matilda overcome his
virtue, and he proceeds from crime to crime, till at last he sells his
soul to the devil. Ambrosio, being condemned to death by the
Inquisition, is released by Lucifer; but no sooner is he out of prison
than he is dashed to pieces on a rock.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ambrosio from Fact Monster:
- Alessandra Ambrosio - Biography of Alessandra Ambrosio, Navel-pierced Guess clothing model
- Octaviano Ambrosio LARRAZOLO - LARRAZOLO, Octaviano Ambrosio (1859—1930) Senate Years of Service: 1928-1929 Party: ...
- Osorno - Osorno Osorno , city (1990 est. pop. 117,400), Los Lagos region, S central Chile, in the heart of ...
- Ana Beatriz Barros - Biography of Ana Beatriz Barros, Heavy-lipped Brazilian model for Victoria's Secret
- Bernardo O'Higgins - O'Higgins, Bernardo O'Higgins, Bernardo , 1778–1842, South American revolutionary and ...