A species of rock-crystal supposed to prevent intoxication
(Greek, a-methusta, the antidote of intoxication).
Drinking-cups made of amethyst were supposed to be a charm against
It was the most cherished of all precious stones by Roman matrons,
from the superstition that it would preserve inviolate the affection of
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Amethyst from Fact Monster:
- amethyst - amethyst amethyst [Gr.,=non-drunkenness], variety of quartz, violet to purple in color, used as a ...
- Birthstones - Birthstones Month Stone January Garnet February Amethyst March Aquamarine or Bloodstone April ...
- sapphire - sapphire sapphire, precious stone. A transparent blue corundum, it is classified among the most ...
- Badakhshan, province, Afghanistan - Badakhshan Badakhshan , province (1979 est. pop. 497,000), 17,011 sq mi (44,059 sq km), extreme NE ...
- Henry William Stiegel - Stiegel, Henry William Stiegel, Henry William , 1729–85, American iron and glass ...