A form of the name of Eliam (friend of God). In
Dryden's satire of Absalom and Achitophel it is meant for Sir
Edward Seymour, Speaker of the House of Commons. (2 Samuel xxii. 34.)
Who can Amiel's praise refuse?
Of ancient race by birth, but nobler yet In his own worth, and
without title great. The Sanhedrim long time as chief he ruled, Their
reason guided and their passion cooled.
Dryden: Absalom and
Achitophel, i. 99–903.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Amiel from Fact Monster:
- Henri Frédéric Amiel - Amiel, Henri Frédéric Amiel, Henri Frédéric , 1821–81, Swiss ...
- The Shaggy Dog - Starring Tim Allen, Kristin Davis, Zena Grey, Spencer Breslin, Jane Curtin
- The Prince and Me - Starring Julia Stiles, Luke Mably, Ben Miller, James Fox, Miranda Richardson
- Swiss literature - Swiss literature. Swiss literature. The literature of Switzerland is written in German, French, ...
- Encyclopedia: Miscellaneous European Literature: Biographies - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Miscellaneous European Literature: Biographies.