Fossil molluscs allied to the nautilus and
cuttlefish. So called because they resemble the horn upon the ancient
statues of Jupiter Ammon. (See above.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ammonites from Fact Monster:
- ammonite - ammonite ammonite , one of a type of extinct marine cephalopod mollusk, related to the nautilus and ...
- Baalis - Baalis Baalis , in the Bible, king of the Ammonites, contemporary with Jeremiah.
- Tobiah - Tobiah Tobiah , in the Bible. 1. Ammonite opposed to Nehemiah. 2. Family returned from exile.
- Ben-ammi - Ben-ammi Ben-ammi , in the Bible, son of Lot by his younger daughter; eponym of the Ammonites.
- Chemosh - Chemosh Chemosh , identified, probably mistakenly, as the god of the Ammonites in the Bible (see ...