is said to have built Thebes by the music of his lute, which
was so melodious that the stones danced into walls and houses of their
own accord. Tennyson has a rhyming jeu d'esprit.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Amphion from Fact Monster:
- Antiope - Antiope Antiope , in Greek mythology. 1. Theban princess, daughter of Nycteus. She was seduced by ...
- Amphion - Amphion Amphion : see Antiope 1.
- Niobe - Niobe Niobe , in Greek mythology, queen of Thebes, wife of Amphion and daughter of Tantalus. The ...
- Farnese Bull - Farnese Bull Farnese Bull, sculptured group representing Zethus and Amphion, sons of Antiope, tying ...
- Encyclopedia: Folklore and Mythology - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Folklore and Mythology.