(either 3 or 4 syl.) The sea. In classic mythology, the wife of
Neptune (Greek, amphi-trio for tribo, rubbing or wearing
away [the shore] on all sides).
His weary chariot sought the bowers
Of Amphitritë and her tending nymphs.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Amphitrite from Fact Monster:
- Amphitrite - Amphitrite Amphitrite , in Greek mythology, queen of the sea; daughter of Nereus. She was the wife ...
- Scylla - Scylla Scylla , in Greek mythology. 1. Sea monster. According to one legend Circe, jealous of the ...
- Poseidon - Poseidon Poseidon , in Greek religion and mythology, god of the sea, protector of all waters. After ...
- Jan de Mabuse - Mabuse, Jan de Mabuse, Jan de , c.1478–c.1533, Flemish painter, b. Maubeuge. His real name ...
- Encyclopedia: Folklore and Mythology - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Folklore and Mythology.