Dame Eleanor Davies (prophetess in the reign of Charles I) = Never
so mad a lady. Gustavus = Augustus.
Horatio Nelson = Honor est a Nilo (made by Dr. Burney).
Queen Victoria's Jubilee Year = I require love in a subject.
Quid est Veritas (John xviii. 38)? = Vir est qui adest. Marie
Touchet (mistress of Charles IX of France = Je charme tout (made
by Henri IV). Voltaire is an anagram of Arouet l(e) j(eune).
These are interchangeable words
Alcuinus and Calvinus; Amor and Roma; Eros and Rose; Evil and Live;
and many more.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Anagrams from Fact Monster:
- Anagrams - Anagrams An anagram is a word, phrase or sentence formed by rearranging another word or group of ...
- anagram - anagram anagram [Gr.,=something read backward], rearrangement of the letters of a word or words to ...
- palindrome - palindrome: palindrome: see anagram.
- crossword puzzle - crossword puzzle crossword puzzle, word game in which words corresponding to numbered clues are put ...
- The Loch Ness Monster - Biography of The Loch Ness Monster, Elusive Scottish underwater monster